Sunday, February 26, 2012

Southwest Chicken Paninis

 A few weeks ago I attempted to make these Southwest Chicken Paninis from Annie's Eats.  The pictures on her blog looked SO tasty that I just had to try the recipe. 
However, instead of her filling, I decided to try my own filling in the crock pot.  I put two chicken breasts, tomato sauce, some cream of chicken soup, green pepper, onion, and chili powder into the crock pot and let it sit on high for about four hours.  I shredded the deliciously tender chicken.
However, the end result with the paninis wasn't so fantastic.  First of all, my filling had too much liquid for a panini.  This resulted in a lot of the filling actually slipping out of the sandwich either during the press stage or while we were eating it.  However, if we improvised a bit and used the bread to sop up the liquid and chicken, everything was just fine.

Next time, I'm thinking about either following Annie's recipe OR making these open-face sandwiches with well-toasted bread and the filling on top, which would be eaten with a fork.  Either way, I think that we agreed that we should try this recipe again sometime!

By the way, I can't get enough of the Whitney Houston Pandora radio station.  Yay for soft rock full of Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, and Toni Braxton!  Ha!

No comments: