Monday, November 14, 2011

Back into the swing of things

I was sick a couple of weeks ago, and when I'm sick I really try hard not to run.  NOT running is almost as hard as running is (for me, anyway), because once your body gets used to the endorphins and the good feelings that come with exercise, it is really hard to go a few days without them.  I really think that one can be addicted to working out, and I definitely craved the feeling after a good workout when I was sick.

However, I also think that sickness sometimes comes on for a reason: I always seem to get sick when I'm too stressed, overworked, etc.  So, I took my sickly feelings as a sign that perhaps I should slow everything down a bit and I took about a week off from running.

The problem with this is that it is really, really hard to get back into a working out groove.  Especially when it is getting colder and colder outside.

I ran on my day off on Friday and it was an extremely tough run.  I went for about five miles, which is half of what I used to do at least once a week before I got sick.  Blah.  Then, on Saturday, David and I went on a 9-10 mile run, which was also really hard but felt really good.  I am glad that I have a partner who enjoys running as much as I do because it motivates me to go out and get moving.  I am hoping that I can get my groove back despite the very chilly temps.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I am really struggling as well - I haven't run at all since our 10k! I am determined to get back on track this week though - we can do it!