Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Sunday, November 27, 2011
We had yet another wonderful holiday weekend. On Wednesday, we traveled to my parents' house and enjoyed taco salads for supper with my family. On Thursday, we ran in the Turkey Trot, where I did pretty well (for me...my time was 26:33 for a 5k! Yay!), but yet again came out empty handed. Boo. David, however, won a sack of potatoes for getting second in his age group, so that was awesome! I told him that he was helping out with groceries. Everybody but myself won a prize.
After we stuffed ourselves silly, we traveled to the Lake of the Ozarks, where David's parents rented a house for David's siblings to meet and enjoy the holiday. We had a relaxing weekend, eating way too much and playing games. We were all entertained by David's nieces and nephew, who are really adorable.
I am so happy that our families get along so well and our holidays are so easy and relaxing. We had a great time at both families and look forward to next year!
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Do you remember when you were in school and learned all about Thanksgiving? I thought that it would be fun to recall the facts we learned in Social Studies, so I read the Wikipedia article on Thanksgiving! So fun!
Blue Eyed Bride posted these questions so I thought that it would be fun to answer them! Comment with yours!
1. Do you eat stuffing or dressing? Stuffing!
2. Did you ever dress up as a pilgrim at school? (I did! Every year, all of the Kindergarten classes in my school got together and dressed up as either Indians or Pilgrims. I was a pilgrim. The school invited the support staff to a Thanksgiving dinner and the paper would always take a picture of the class. I remember my Grandma coming to the lunch (she was my school nurse), so that made me feel extra special! It is a little tradition in my town.)
3. What is your favorite dish at Thanksgiving? I enjoy the stuffing piled high with gravy....oh, and rolls....and casseroles.....this could go on forever. I love Thanksgiving meal!
4. Are you all about the turkey? Or all about the sides? (The SIDES)
5. Do you have a pumpkin pie at your house? Do you eat it? (Yes! We always have a pumpkin pie because my Grandma makes it. It is very delicious and I look forward to it all year long!)
6. Do you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in your pajamas while cooking every year? (I don't cook, but I watch it in the morning! It really makes me feel like it is the holiday time!)
7. What other traditions do you associate with Thanksgiving? (The weekend after Thanksgiving, David and I decorate our house for Christmas, which I love!)
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
|I am thankful that this kitty always gets into trouble and makes us laugh...|
|I am thankful that this puppy always wants to do the right thing and makes us both so happy....|
|I am thankful that this kitty is so affectionate and loves me unconditionally.|
Monday, November 21, 2011
Every year during Thanksgiving week, I like to take some time to think about the things about which I should feel thankful. The biggest thing about which I am thankful is my family. I have such a supportive family who is always there for me in my times of need My husband helps me achieve any goal I have, my parents would do anything for me, and my other family members always lend a helpful hand.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
My favorite thing about this show is that you don't need to really watch previous episodes in order to understand the current episode. My favorite character is Niles...he is hilarious.
Have you ever watched Frasier?
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
We had another great weekend. This weekend, it was fantastic to have time to sit and just relax. I was off on Friday, which was amazing. I really needed the day to relax and have a break from work. I ran errands, got Paco a haircut, and went to Trader Joe's. I really love our new Trader Joe's near our house, especially the frozen foods. This time, I bought Egg Rolls and Orange Asian chicken, and I am really excited to try them! That night, we hung out at home and watched Bridesmaids. It was really great to have a night alone with David just to relax!
On Saturday I went on a long run with David and then went out to eat lunch with a friend. After that, I went home and cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned some more. Then, after mass, we baby-sat for our nieces and nephews, which is always fun. We made pigs in a blanket, pizza rolls, salad (!), and macaroni and cheese (Spongebob Squarepants style). They LOVED the pigs in a blanket. Other favorite activities while baby-sitting include:
TormentingPlaying with the cats
- Taking a bubble bath
- Watching cartoons
- Reading before bed
How was your weekend?
Monday, November 14, 2011
However, I also think that sickness sometimes comes on for a reason: I always seem to get sick when I'm too stressed, overworked, etc. So, I took my sickly feelings as a sign that perhaps I should slow everything down a bit and I took about a week off from running.
The problem with this is that it is really, really hard to get back into a working out groove. Especially when it is getting colder and colder outside.
I ran on my day off on Friday and it was an extremely tough run. I went for about five miles, which is half of what I used to do at least once a week before I got sick. Blah. Then, on Saturday, David and I went on a 9-10 mile run, which was also really hard but felt really good. I am glad that I have a partner who enjoys running as much as I do because it motivates me to go out and get moving. I am hoping that I can get my groove back despite the very chilly temps.
Friday, November 11, 2011
I thought that I would share this version of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". We sung it in church this past weekend and it is one of my favorite patrotic songs!
Wednesday, November 09, 2011
Here at ModCloth, we might not be doctors, but that doesn't mean we can't diagnose what ails you. Case in point, do you suffer from a severe compulsion for kitty-covered clothes? If the answer is yes, we think you might have caught a case of feline fever. But relax, we also possess the cure.
If anybody has kitty fever, I think it is me!
Tuesday, November 08, 2011
It is very embarrassing to have a cat this bad when we have guests, so I tried to yell at her and "discipline" her. How can I get her to behave like a real lady?!?!?!?!?! ANY tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Monday, November 07, 2011
On Friday evening, we enjoyed chili and soup at our house and prepped for the race. On Saturday, we woke up nice and early and ran in the Ruckus Run. A Ruckus Run is basically a 5K including obstacles. For instance, we had to forge a creek, climb through mud pits, scale walls, and jump over barricades. It was exhausting but a ton of fun! As you can see, we were very muddy after it was over! Our strategy was to go through the run as a team, except for David's brother, who placed very nicely in the race overall.
After that was over, we ate lunch and tried to take some family portraits (of me, David, and the pets. Note the emphasis on "tried"). When that was over, we went to look at the new house that David's sister is buying, which is really gorgeous. Finally, we went out to eat at Waldo Pizza.
On Sunday after our company left, David and I took a long bike ride in the beautiful weather. We cleaned the house a bit and then watched To Kill a Mockingbird. I love that book, but I had not seen the movie since high school. Atticus Finch is one of my very favorite characters.
I hope you had a great weekend as well!
Thursday, November 03, 2011
- I've been feeling sick this week, which is no fun at all. Two days ago, I took my second (half) sick day from work. Being at home sick is a sad reason to be home...I would much rather be my normal and healthy self working! Alas, I had to come home to nap. After a nap in the afternoon and eight hours of sleep, I was almost as good as new. Yay!
- Our Halloween was just wonderful and I can't believe that yesterday I took down all of my Halloween decorations and put up my (very few) Thanksgiving decorations. Where does the time go?!?!?
- Last night there was a torrential downpour at my house. The forecast called for snow overnight.
- I've been in the mood for soups and want to try this Tuscan White Bean soup this weekend.
- I enjoy how Google does not end this sentence in a preposition:
Wednesday, November 02, 2011
Tuesday, November 01, 2011
On Saturday morning we ran a 10k called the Monster Mash Dash, which is where you dress up for the race. We decided to go as Sesame Street---I was Oscar and we had Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and Elmo.
The 10k was great: