Thursday, October 27, 2011

Harvest Moon

The autumn is upon us. 
The trees outside my door have been turning, and I have been trying to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of the outdoors while I can.  While I love every season, and especially enjoy snuggling up during the wintertime, I am in no hurry to put this autumn behind me.  Therefore, I have been trying to enjoy time outside, walking and running, so that I can take advantage of the gorgeous weather.  

I love seeing the leaves changing and especially enjoy looking at the trees around my neighborhood.  Some are red, some are orange, some are yellow, and some refuse to turn color and simply stay green.  Seeing the trees reminds me of the little maple tree that David and I planted outside our first house and I wonder what that tree will see during its lifetime.  I also love seeing the trees on my way to work...they look like different colored cotton puffs on the hillsides.  

The sounds of autumn are also very distinct.  The leaves rustle whenever any creature happens to disturb them, thwarting any stealthy plans.  I especially enjoy the squirrels, who scamper and play while frantically gathering their food for the winter.  I also enjoy the sounds of people as they enjoy soccer games, football games, and seeing their neighbors outside one last time before the snows hit.  

Finally, I love the smells.  Fresh air is by far one of my favorite smells, and the cooler breeze is a refreshing change from the stuffy summer we enjoyed.  I also enjoy the smell of burning brush as I drive down the highway.  The refuse is being cleared for something else.

The weather makes me want to cook with pumpkin and snuggle.  This is one of the reasons I love fall...what a gorgeous season.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Abbie, just this morning I told Tom that every day I am appreciating the beautiful leaves and hoping they hang on until Andy and JinYoung get to admire them too!