Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Coldplay

In celebration of Coldplay's new album Mylo Xyloto being released this week, I thought that I would share some of my favorite Coldplay songs.  I've had a fascination with Coldplay for a long time, so I find that the different albums that have been released correspond to periods of time in my life. I remember that I used to listen to Parachutes while on the school bus, riding to track meets and Quiz Bowl matches. When I listened to those songs, I wondered what my life had in store for me and what I would be when I grew up, who I would marry, and with whom I would become friends. This is one of my favorite songs from that album:
And then who could forget this awesome music video of Chris Martin walking around on a beach? I'm pretty sure that I had (have? ahem.) a crush on him for years.
Then, when I went to college, A Rush of Blood to the Head was out and I listened to those songs while I was running or hanging out with David. My very favorite one is called "Green Eyes", and (cue the rolling eyes) David sings it to me still (even though I maintain that I have blue eyes, David thinks that they look green most of the time). It is one of our special songs and reminds me of college.
After that, X&Y was released. I enjoyed the album, but frankly not many of the songs actually stand out to me, except "Til Kingdom Come", a cover of Johnny Cash:
Finally, in law school, Viva la Vida came out. I really liked Viva la Vida...it reminds me of a Beatles album for some reason. My favorite track on it is actually the second half of a different song. It is called "Reign of Love" and I feel a sense of calmness whenever I hear it.
I also really liked the track "Lost":

Are there any bands by which you measure the time periods in your life?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Abbie, I enjoyed thinking about this topic. I don't have a favorite band, but it reminded me of songs I have loved and the memories that go with them. I especially thought about choosing record albums with my college roommate to stack on my record player--mainly Barry Mannilow, John Denver, the Carpenters, and Barbra Striesand!

I feel like your blog, with its variety of interesting topics, give me a little Thought for the Day!