Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pork with apples and onions


Generally I do not enjoy pork.  I grew up on a pig farm so in my youth I had really fresh and delicious pork on a weekly basis.  Despite this luxury, since I hit adulthood I never reach for pork when cooking.  However, David loves pork, so I decided to try to cook more with the meat. 

Last night I decided to make some pork cutlets.  I found the cutlets at the grocery store for 5 for $5.00 (high quality, probably).  When I asked my dad what to do with them, he suggested adding apples and some butter to make a sauce.


After thinking about it some more, I decided to also add onions (my dad does not enjoy onions, which is why he never suggests them) and try to get a salty flavor in the apples.  On a whim while cooking everything, I added some white wine.  The result was a succulent, delicious, over-the-top amazing pork cutlet.  I highly suggest making this as a cheaper alternative on a week night!  SO delicious.  (I made some green bean casserole and German Potato Salad for sides.)


  • five pork cutlets, fat trimmed
  • one medium apple (I used Gala), minced
  • one small yellow onion, diced
  • one tablespoon butter
  • one tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup white wine
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pinch of thyme
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the vegetable oil.  Lightly salt and pepper one side of the pork cutlets.  Place the trimmed cutlets in the vegetable oil and slightly sear on both sides. 

Once seared, remove the cutlets from the skillet and put in an oven pan.  Add the butter to the skillet and allow it to melt.  Add the apples and the onion.  Saute until the butter is reduced (appx. 7-10 minutes, but don't allow this to burn!).  Add the white wine and allow the mixture to simmer.  Add the thyme and give the sauce a generous pinch of salt.  Add additional salt and pepper to taste. 

Take the sauce off the heat and pour over the cutlets.  Put the meat in the oven and allow to cook at 350 for approximately 45 minutes in the sauce. 

3 comments:

David said...

I just ate one of these for lunch and it was still delicious!

Anonymous said...

RORO said sounds good may need to try that recipe!

Kathy said...

Gosh, Abbie, your food pictures look like they could be in a magazine. I wish somebody who lived here was motivated to cook like you do!