Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dilation

A week ago I went to the eye doctor for the first check-up I've had in two years yearly check-up.  Everything went fine, but the eye doctor made me get my eyes dilated.   This is apparently routine-- but I had never had my eye dilated before.  Let me tell you: it is really no fun at all.  I really disliked the nasty drops they put in my eyes that made them feel so weird.  The only upside was that as I looked in the mirror I thought that I kind of looked like my cats when the lights are dim.  Wouldn't it be weird if our eyes acted like ours and let in more and less light according to the amount of light in a room (or, I should say that I think our eyes actually do that, but it is more noticeable in a cat)?  It seemed kind of strange to me because the dilation was "routine" at this office but yet I had never had my eyes dilated before (at least that I can remember...).  Is this a routine thing?

Anyway, when I was there, I had to wait for the doctor in my examination room for about twenty minutes.  Generally, I do not mind waiting, but I don't like to be bored waiting.  So, I pulled out my phone and started to read blogs and my Twitter.  The doctor came in, saw me with my phone, I put away my phone, and said hi and he went about the examination. 

During the exam I noticed about three huge signs in the examination room that I had not noticed before.  "PLEASE TURN OFF ALL CELL PHONES."  "DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONE."  "PLEASE, PUT AWAY YOUR CELL PHONE."  As soon as I saw them, the signs seemed large and obvious.  How could I miss them earlier?  I got so embarrassed because I felt horrible and I kept thinking that the doctor was probably angry at me.  I debated about saying something to the doctor but decided against it, thinking about a saying that I enjoy, "least said, soonest mended."  Hopefully I did not mess up anybody's eye reading by using my cell phone out of turn.










4 comments:

Heather said...

I think it depends on the eye dr. if it is routine or not. The eye Dr. I went to all my life growing up never had me get my eyes dilated. Then I went to a different eye Dr. when I was in my 20s and she left it up to me I could have it done or not have it done. I've only been to three eye Dr. so I don't have a lot of experience. When I find one I like I usually stick with them. I'll probably go to the lady I go to know until she retires. :)

Anonymous said...

I think they like to dilate your eyes about every other year....it's kind of like getting your teeth x-rayed every year and a half or two. That's what I have been told. -Terri U.

Jules said...

I can't believe you've never had your eyes dilated before! I usually don't do it every year because it's such a pain to be dilated and having to drive home etc. My eye doctor also uses a different procedure now that allows him to see everything without having to dilate, which is pretty nice!

Rachel said...

Hey Ab, I think it is more noticeable in cats because they have slit-like pupils instead of round. Makes it very hard to see the retina of a cat unless you dilate their eyes.
Pupil shape is very interesting if you look across species because they're not all the same!
Weird fact: Birds can actually consciously control their pupils constriction or dilation. Most other animals/ppl do not have conscious control over this reflex.
;) don't know if they can wink or not though! ;) ;)
Eyes are cool! :)