Friday, September 30, 2011
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Last night I decided to make some pork cutlets. I found the cutlets at the grocery store for 5 for $5.00 (high quality, probably). When I asked my dad what to do with them, he suggested adding apples and some butter to make a sauce.
After thinking about it some more, I decided to also add onions (my dad does not enjoy onions, which is why he never suggests them) and try to get a salty flavor in the apples. On a whim while cooking everything, I added some white wine. The result was a succulent, delicious, over-the-top amazing pork cutlet. I highly suggest making this as a cheaper alternative on a week night! SO delicious. (I made some green bean casserole and German Potato Salad for sides.)
- five pork cutlets, fat trimmed
- one medium apple (I used Gala), minced
- one small yellow onion, diced
- one tablespoon butter
- one tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of thyme
Once seared, remove the cutlets from the skillet and put in an oven pan. Add the butter to the skillet and allow it to melt. Add the apples and the onion. Saute until the butter is reduced (appx. 7-10 minutes, but don't allow this to burn!). Add the white wine and allow the mixture to simmer. Add the thyme and give the sauce a generous pinch of salt. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Take the sauce off the heat and pour over the cutlets. Put the meat in the oven and allow to cook at 350 for approximately 45 minutes in the sauce.
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
I loveee weddings!
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Luckily, I found myself a good looking date for the wedding on the side of the highway Shhh. Don't tell my husband.
Monday, September 26, 2011
- We have had two big weddings friend/family in the past two weekends, which has made life super busy! It is such fun busy, though. I got to see one of my best friends get married first at a gorgeous venue, and then this past weekend my cousin got married and I was a bridesmaid! Everything was so much fun and it all seemed like a whirlwind.
- Today when we were driving home from the second wedding, I finally felt like fall has set in. Usually I feel this way after Labor Day, but this year I guess that the weddings seemed like the end of summer in my mind. As a result, I decided to cook a bunch and bake.
- Said baking project went horribly. I tried to make pretzel bites (I'm not even going to link to the recipe I used because those poor people don't need my feeble attempt at making their meal to be linked to their site whatsoever). I threw away the entire batch. I think there were several problems:
2. I put baking soda in the boiling water, causing said water to boil over into a foam cloud onto my stove, the floor between the stove and the sink, and the sink;
3. I cooked the "bites" too long, which resulted in dumplings being put into the over to bake;
4. I did not drain the dumplings well, so there was runny water all over the baking pan while they were supposed to get golden brown.
- The leaves are starting to turn beautiful colors and we saw another hoot owl in our backyard, only this time it was perched very near our deck. Can hoot owls carry away shih-tzus?
- I love this version of this song, and I rarely think that renditions are very good, especially when the original song was performed by Johnny Cash:
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Do you have any sleep tricks up your sleeve?
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
A week ago I went to the eye doctor for
the first check-up I've had in two years yearly check-up. Everything went fine, but the eye doctor made me get my eyes dilated. This is apparently routine-- but I had never had my eye dilated before. Let me tell you: it is really no fun at all. I really disliked the nasty drops they put in my eyes that made them feel so weird. The only upside was that as I looked in the mirror I thought that I kind of looked like my cats when the lights are dim. Wouldn't it be weird if our eyes acted like ours and let in more and less light according to the amount of light in a room (or, I should say that I think our eyes actually do that, but it is more noticeable in a cat)? It seemed kind of strange to me because the dilation was "routine" at this office but yet I had never had my eyes dilated before (at least that I can remember...). Is this a routine thing?
Anyway, when I was there, I had to wait for the doctor in my examination room for about twenty minutes. Generally, I do not mind waiting, but I don't like to be bored waiting. So, I pulled out my phone and started to read blogs and my Twitter. The doctor came in, saw me with my phone, I put away my phone, and said hi and he went about the examination.
During the exam I noticed about three huge signs in the examination room that I had not noticed before. "PLEASE TURN OFF ALL CELL PHONES." "DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONE." "PLEASE, PUT AWAY YOUR CELL PHONE." As soon as I saw them, the signs seemed large and obvious. How could I miss them earlier? I got so embarrassed because I felt horrible and I kept thinking that the doctor was probably angry at me. I debated about saying something to the doctor but decided against it, thinking about a saying that I enjoy, "least said, soonest mended." Hopefully I did not mess up anybody's eye reading by using my cell phone out of turn.
Monday, September 12, 2011
On Friday evening we arrived and talked and snacked. On Saturday, my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and I went on a run together. I was pretty apprehensive about running with other people because I do not consider myself to be a very fast runner, but everything was fine (if I did hold you guys back, I'm sorry)! We then played Trivial Pursuit, which was fun, and then we went out to eat dinner at "The World's Best Pizza Place" (located in Stockton, Missouri...who knew?!) and went to mass.
We ended up going to mass in El Dorado Springs, Missouri and after church we visited the city park to get a taste of the mineral spring water:
After that, we went back to the house and made s'mores (we had a fire pit there and my other brother-in-law had the brilliant idea to buy s'more fixings for us!). Finally, to cap off the day, we sang "Happy Birthday" to my father-in-law, whose birthday was yesterday.
Overall it was a really fun getaway! The area is really pretty down near Stockton and I think we all enjoyed spending some quality time together!
Wednesday, September 07, 2011
I was going to post about the show Teen Mom today but after watching a few episodes of it I feel so disguised by it I'm not even going to devote an entire post about it. After just a few episodes I have determined that my brain cells are better used elsewhere.
Tuesday, September 06, 2011
Thursday, September 01, 2011
I decided to try the accent vblog today. You are supposed to read the words and answer the questions...if you have a blog you should post one, too!
The instructions are to say these words:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught
And answer these questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you use to change the TV channel?