Monday, August 08, 2011

High School Girls' Weekend: Ste. Genevieve, MO!

I had a great weekend this weekend! I had a girls' weekend with my high school friends, which was a much-needed break from city life. We drove to Ste. Genevieve, Missouri and stayed at a Tiger Sanctuary. I took so many pictures that I thought that it would be best to do a multi-day post. I have to be honest: I was happily anticipating seeing my friends, but not happily anticipating the drive. The drive ended up being just fine and I loved the area. It ended up being one of my very favorite weekends of the entire summer!

On Friday, we arrived and promptly got lost (because of me---once I saw signs pointing to the ferry service to Illinois I knew we were in trouble...). We finally reached our hotel and then decided to head back to Ste. Genevieve for supper. We ate at a delicious local joint called Big Field Cafe. I devoured gumbo, a turkey and cranberry chutney sandwich, and a pickle:Yum. The gumbo was SO delicious. Sausage, yummy chicken, and spiciness combined to make a perfect combination. The turkey sandwich was also delicious, although I liked the gumbo better. I washed it down with a homemade sweet pickle. Everybody at my table loved their food.

After that, we decided to explore the town a bit while we let the food in our stomach settle:and stalk fake kittens hiding in store windows:


At least they are patriotic!

The girls!
After our walk, we stopped at Sara's Ice Cream shop. I ordered a chocolate malt and a vanilla phosphate. OH MY. The malt was by far the best malt I have ever experienced. The ice cream was SO creamy and I could taste the malt in tiny chunks in my drink. People, this was ice cream heaven:
The phosphate was also delicious. For 94 cents it tasted exactly like my favorite $4 creamy Italian soda at Latte Land. Ste. Genevieve was a charming town full of really friendly people. We had so much fun walking around and enjoying the scenery. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip! If only we had a Sara's here....

1 comment:

Well-Sugared Student said...

That looks fun, Abbie! Especially the malt! More pictures of where you stayed, please!