Thursday, April 07, 2011

What we've been eating

I wanted to share our suppers each week after the big spending freeze on groceries. I have had to alter our menus a bit, but overall I think that we are still eating pretty well.

First up: Lemon Pasta
After all of this gorgeous weather we have been having, I really wanted to make a Lemon Pasta. It sounded so refreshing! So, tonight, I made a box of pasta, sauteed onions, tomatoes, spinach, and eggplant together, and made an easy white wine sauce (white wine + chicken broth + olive oil....season to taste). After I combined all of the ingredients, I baked the dish in the oven for about 25 minutes on 400 degrees.

Overall, the dish was very tasty. In general, I would not have bought pasta for this dish...I would probably have made a risotto. Pasta is cheaper, though. I also would have added whipping cream, buying a small carton solely for the purpose of this dish and then allowing it to go bad. Another con is that I ate WAY too much...I was reminded of why I do not actually buy pasta very often. I can never stop myself from eating about 7 helpings of pasta.

Next....fried tacos:
After reading Pioneer Woman's delicious-looking fried taco dish, I decided to try frying my own tacos. This is why I bought the chicken thighs, and I have to say that I was not impressed. They grossed me out so much that I decided to make mine vegetarian tacos and added some black beans instead. David loved them, though, and now I have two extra chicken thighs for his leftovers, so it worked out just fine.

I sauteed onion, a leftover red bell pepper, and a can of store-brand Ro-Tel (no difference). I added chicken to David's and beans to mine and fried them just as PW's post instructs. They were SO good. I highly recommend this recipe. (Note: don't eat too many. I ate three (!) and my stomach hurt so badly after because I am so not used to fried food.)

Finally....black bean burgers and steak fries!
For my burgers, I used a recipe similar to this one and made homemade hamburger buns. I have to say that the homemade hamburger buns were super easy and way better tasting than store-bought. Even if you aren't trying to cut back on your grocery budget, you should try making that recipe.

We did pretty well, don't you think? David had plenty of leftovers for lunch and other evening meals, which I love!

2 comments:

Well-Sugared Student said...

abbie...i have never seen homemade black bean burgers. do they taste good??? I LOVE beans

Kathy said...

A coworker tonight was telling me about a tv show she watched about extreme coupon moms because we both like saving money. I told her that I hope we talk about inexpensive grocery shopping this weekend because you are trying this plan, and I love the topic! David is lucky that you go to so much trouble to make such good meals.