Monday, April 04, 2011

Grocery Adventures: Part 1

Well, we went shopping on Saturday and the $50 a week plan seems to be working...somewhat. We spent:

$52.46

Pretty good, huh? If you don't count taxes, we stayed within the $50 budget. Check out our loot:
The Breakdown:

Dairy: $1.18 (eggs)
Grocery: $11.32 (canned goods, flour, bagels, black beans in a bag, seasoning)
Produce: $35.75 (apples, spinach, oranges, bananas, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, potatoes, lemons, and onions)
Meat: $3.64 (chicken thighs)

Our big spending items were spinach, apples, oranges, eggplant, and bagels. I learned a few things. First, buying bagged beans is cheaper than buying cans. I also learned to look for vegetables that are cheaper. Potatoes are really cheap and can be used to make semi-healthy dishes. Finally, chicken thighs (which I will boil and pull the meat off the bones).

I did forget two things, though. The first is bacon. I usually have bacon in my evening salads. The second is frozen raspberries, which I eat every morning in my breakfast smoothie. Too bad, though...we have already spent our weekly allowance and I am not letting myself go back since we went over the budget for the week.

Last night I made black bean burgers with homemade slider buns and steak fries. Yum!

2 comments:

Mrs. Haid said...

Hey Chick! Try some slow cooker recipes for both dried beans (rinse, soak overnight, rinse water or add broth to cover beans about 2 inches, then cook on low while you are at work... freeze extra that you can handle getting mushy for soups or hummus or whatever) and chicken (if thighs are fresh, pull of some skin first, if not... don't worry about it... add some broth or water and seasonings... let them cook on low over night or most of day, scoop out bones, and sit in your fridge so they can chill and you can easily scrape off layer of fat!). These make great shredded chicken for BBQ sandwiches or for tacos or something.

Both are some Mrs. Haid originals tips. A la A Year of Slow Cooking Blog!

Kathy said...

I have recently tried to get Tom to want to eat chicken thighs since they are cheaper than chicken breasts which are cheaper than chicken tenders, which he likes the best. Mrs. Haid, your idea for shredded barbecued shredded chicken sandwiches sounds delicious! Plus healthy and economical!