Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sleepless Sundays


Paco loves to snuggle any day of the week!

Do you have trouble falling asleep on Sunday evenings?

It seems that every Sunday evening, I have issues falling asleep. I used to have trouble falling asleep every single night in law school----everything had to be juuuuust perfect. I had to have a good temperature, a good amount of covers, certain outfits, and a husband who magically did not breathe next to me.

Now, I have a routine where I go to bed by myself and read for a while. When I am tired, I turn out the light and fall asleep without much of a problem. Reading has always been in my bedtime routine---I can barely fall asleep without reading. If I am without a book, I will read a brochure, a Bible in a hotel nightstand...anything.

Lately, though, Sundays have been bad. I do not do anything before bed, so I don't think it is a matter of too much activity before sleepy time. I do not feel that I am that anxious about work...compared to most attorney jobs, I feel like I have pretty low-stress at work (or at least am able to leave it there), although anxiety may be a part of it.

This past Sunday evening, I only got four hours of sleep. This was just horrible. The longer I stayed awake, the more I thought of how many hours of sleep I was missing. I am a huge believer in the 8-hour sleep, so this makes me nervous. I tried everything: I put my head at the foot of our bed, I slept on the sofa, I folded laundry, I put my head back in the correct spot on the bed, I turned on our fan, I took off covers, I tried stretching. Finally, I asked David to sleep on the couch and I fell asleep. I felt horrible, but I could think of nothing else. Luckily, I have a very understanding husband who also happens to be a third child and can sleep anywhere in the world without interruption.

I have a few ideas for falling asleep better next Sunday:
  • Try to attend yoga. I have slept better since I began going to yoga, and I truly think this helps. I had not attended yoga for almost five days this past Sunday, and I think that it contributed to the sleep deprivation.
  • Clean my house. I hate starting a week with a messy house.
  • Finish my projects. I want to try not to have anything over my head, project-wise. This mostly involves bill paying and going through the mail.
  • Go for a walk before bedtime.
I need ideas. Do you have any sleep secrets? Help!

4 comments:

kisa said...

You could try staying up all night on Saturday.

Kathy said...

Coincidentally, Tom and I had a bad night last night, with trouble falling asleep and being awake in the middle of the night. This didn't used to happen to me until I was middle aged, so I'm sorry you have already experienced it! Besides counting the hours I have to sleep, and stewing about them, I say Hail Marys, which always seems comforting. I tell myself that one hour of lying awake in bed equals a half hour of sleep, so that helps too, whether it is true or not.

Katie said...

It truly is THE worst when you cannot sleep. It doesnt happen to me often, but when it does usually i end up with 3 hours of sleep or less b/c i'd rather just get up & read all night than toss & turn in bed for hours.

Here are some ideas that have worked for me...
-a sleep machine with soothing sounds
-laying on a heating pad for a little bit before you go to sleep (this helps me b/c getting into a cold bed just wakes me up more)
-hot decaf tea before bed (orange spice or sleepytime)
-doing a long run on sunday & then not taking a nap in the afternoon
-if it goes on much longer, maybe schedule a quick checkup with your doctor to make sure everything's okay? sometimes insomnia is a symptom of something else, probably easily fixable. :)



Good luck!!!

Sarah said...

That is weird because I usually don't have any trouble going to sleep, but I also couldn't sleep on Sunday. I think for me, spring break threw me off because we slept a little later in the morning and I kept going to bed way later at night. I hope it was a one-time thing for you!