Thursday, March 31, 2011

Books I have been reading

Lately I have been able to read numerous good books. I thought I would share a few with you!

Source

The first is Franklin and Eleanor: An Extraordinary Marriage. I am reading this book right now. This book is actually very interesting and I am enjoying reading about the Roosevelts and their marriage. The book does a great job of describing the marriage from Eleanor's perspective, using letters and her later autobiography as clues to her feelings. The author clearly sympathizes with Eleanor. My only complaint is that sometimes I feel that the writing is a bit disjointed...the author jumps from subject to subject rather quickly, but the book is a great read overall. I can't wait to finish it!
Source

I also recently finished reading Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. This book is very cute and describes a lady who goes back to her Mennonite roots after a nasty divorce. It is more of a chick-lit easy read than a serious book, but overall I enjoyed it.

Source

Finally, I finished Look Again. This is more of a mystery book that is easy to read and somewhat predictable (although the ending was not for me...I was surprised by a few things). The chapters are very short, so the book went very quickly. This book tells the story of a mother who sees her own son's face on a missing persons flier.

Have you read any good books lately?

5 comments:

Kate said...

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress was very different than I thought - I was expecting more reflection on some personal conflicts related to being near that lifestyle again, or something like that. I was surprised how her parents didn't really seem that different than anyone else's: just as charming and clueless and almost as modern. Wonder if her family is part of an especially progressive Mennonite sect?

Prairie Rose said...

Nice to meet you!
Ran across your blog today and am enjoying getting to know you.
The book about Eleanor looks very interesting.
I recently finished A Schoolteacher In Old Alaska, The Story Of Hannah Breece by Jane Jacobs.
It was a very good look in to what life was like in Alaska in the early 1900's.

Katie said...

The book on the Roosevelt's marriage sounds interesting! Perhaps I could borrow it when you're done? (unless you are renting from the library!)

One book I'm reading now is called "The Faith Club" by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver and Priscilla Warner (non-fiction). The three women are a Muslim, a Christian and a Jew, and the book is a compilation of their reflections and reactions to stereotypes as they try to write an interfaith childrens book. It's fascinating to read!

Kathy said...

Abbie, I also read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress last year, after it was recommended in a magazine. I did not like the author; she seemed snotty to me.
Right now I am listening to two books--Bet Your Bottom Dollar, a Southern chick lit book, and an exciting Harlan Coben mystery. I have been listening to his mysteries one after another. I just started to read The Accidental Billionaires about the guys who invented Facebook, which I think I'll like.

France said...

Look Again is a very suspensful and emotional read. The words just flowed throughout the whole book. It's very hard to put down because you can't wait to see what happens next. It just illustrates the tight and emotional bond a Mother and child experience in life. Lisa Scottoline is awesome!