Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Movie Recommendations

Source
David and I love watching movies. Recently we went to see The King's Speech and I have to say that it was the best movie I have seen in a while. The movie was funny, endearing, and a good story. Colin Firth did a phenomenal job as the King. I highly recommend it and hope you have time to see it before it (hopefully) wins many Academy Awards!



Source
We rented Winter's Bone this weekend. This movie follows a girl living in the Ozarks who is strapped with the responsibility of raising her two siblings and taking care of her mother. I have heard people praise the movie for its candid look into rural, poverty-stricken Missouri. The movie was not very shocking to me, though, because I grew up in rural Missouri. Overall, the movie was good and I enjoyed it, although it is sad.

Source
I did not finish watching Babies all the way through yet, but so far it has been fun. The documentary follows four babies around the world from the time of their birth until around the age of one or two. The movie is so fun as it plays with the juxtaposition of the babies' lives. One memorable scene showed the California mother asking her doctor about SIDS, the flu, proper growing, and nutrition. The camera then cut to the Namibian mother who nursed her baby while cooking a meal on the ground, surrounded by flies. Babies is irresistible because of these contrasts.

Source

I did not expect When in Rome to be any good whatsoever, but I watched it one Friday while I was getting ready for the evening. The movie ended up being kind of cute and if you are in the mood for a goofy romantic comedy, I recommend it.
Source
Finally, we watched New in Town a few weeks ago. Again, this is a silly romantic comedy worth watching if you want to see a light movie with a few funny parts.

What movies have you seen recently?

4 comments:

Well-Sugared Student said...

Harry and the Henderson's was our fabulous choice last night! If I didn't have to bill hours today, I would be watching a bunch more movies. Guess I better get to work. Blah.

Kathy said...

Well, I am not a fan of movies, and whenever I watch one it is because Tom talked me into it! But yesterday when he picked me up at the library, he also picked up a movie--The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which we watched tonight. I thought it was long and weird. I am going to look for the short story from which it was adapted, and maybe I will like that better. I have a memory of standing on our driveway with Davey as he told me about the movie after he saw it!

Anonymous said...

RORO said that we saw 127 hours on Sat night. It was an excellent movie. Only bloody/gory for about 3 minutes when he cut off his arm. The girl working at the counter in the theatre said listen for the high pitched violins and then close your eyes and ears!

Ms. N. said...

Hi there, I like your blog. Hope life is good for you! Recently, film wise I have seen "Food Inc.", an American documentary about the frightening origins of many of the foods we eat, good to watch. Also, "An Education" is a very good British coming of age film, well acted and worth a view. "Black Swan" was an intense and quite shocking view, not my favourite film but again, well acted and an interesting storyline. Check out my blog sometime, I'm from Ireland so throw in a bit of Irish words here and there but generally just blab on about the positive and enjoyable things from my day! Would love to visit Czech Rep. sometime, hope you're happy there!