Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lentil Soup

Last week, when the weather was so cold, I decided to try to make lentils. Lentils are a dish that I rarely think about making but last week they tasted soo delicious. I thought I would share my very simple recipe!

Lentil Soup
- one bag dried lentils
- four carrots, diced
- four stalks celery, diced
- one onion, diced
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- one teaspoon thyme
- red wine vinegar

First, put the lentils into a strainer and rinse them, picking out all of the discolored pieces.

Heat three tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until the onion is clear. Add the lentils. Finally, add four cups of chicken broth.

Bring the mixture to a boil. Add more chicken broth as needed (the lentils will sock up the broth). Add thyme and season to taste. After the lentils have boiled, cook on medium for 45 minutes, adding more broth as needed. At the end of the cooking process, dash some red wine vinegar onto the lentils.

When serving, serve with Louisiana hot sauce and crusty bread.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Mmm that sounds great! I may have to make this next week :-)

Kathy said...

That recipe gives me a happy memory of my dad, who liked lentils, and it does sound good--plus healthy and economical!