Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Homemade Pizza Rolls

The last time our nephew Noah came over for baby-sitting he requested pizza rolls for dinner. This is not because he is regularly exposed to pizza rolls at home--believe me. Rather, he was given pizza rolls at our house by his baby-sitters (ahem, with a side of delicious Kraft mac and cheese). I am pretty sure that his mother does not let frozen pizza rolls near her house. I got to thinking, though...is there a happy medium? Why can't we all enjoy pizza rolls without feeling the guilt that comes with eating the processed/frozen version? Enter these homemade pizza rolls.

I am giving you my recipe, but please keep in mind that you do not need to follow this recipe exactly.

Homemade Pizza Rolls
First of all, prep this pizza crust.

Filling:
- 1 cup pepperoni
- 1 cup mushrooms
- two tomatoes
- one half an onion
- olive oil
- basil, salt, and pepper to taste
- a dash of sugar

Slice the tomatoes. Brush with olive oil and roast in your oven at 350 degrees for appx. 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the pepperoni, mushrooms, onion, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a food processor. Mix well until all items are chopped finely. When the tomatoes are finished, add them to the mix. Season to taste.

Roll out the pizza dough after it is finished rising in a thin layer (I would guess 1/8 inch thick). With a pizza cutter, cut into a rectangle. Place a small amount of your pizza mixture onto one side of the rectangle. Fold over the dough and crimp shut with your fingers.

Bake on well-greased baking pans at 400 degrees for 25 minutes (I would watch this....really, my oven cooks pretty quickly so you will want to be sure yours is cooked).

2 comments:

Sarah said...

These sounds really delicious. I may have to try them, for Noah's sake!

Kathy said...

Oh, Abbie, that post brought back happy memories! When Sarah was a tot, Tom and I would go to the Town and Country Market in Dixon and purchase one of our favorite suppers--pizza rolls and donut holes! And we never felt guilty, even though I imagine we ground the pizza rolls up in the baby food grinder and fed them to Sarah!