Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cooooold Orzo

Yet again, we had an incident with the very, very spoiled Shih Tzu who lives at our house. I let him out the door, walk away, look down the steps, and realize that he is again sitting in the snow, as if to say, "I give up. It is tooooooo cold."
Well, Paco, for once I have to agree with you. Negative degree temperatures make for no morning walks for me. I am counting down the days until the promised fifty degree weather, car washes, and perhaps car windows rolled down. Until then, I am making food that makes me feel better about the cold weather...


I must apologize for the horrible picture.

I started with Ina Garten's Orzo with Roasted Vegetables recipe. Ina never disappoints. I did modify my recipe a bit, so I will share it with you here:

- one eggplant
- one cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups orzo
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Dice the eggplant and onion into bite-sized pieces. Place them, along with the tomatoes, on a baking pan and coat in olive oil. Roast until soft, appx. 30-45 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the orzo according to package directions. Drain and place into a bowl.

Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, and chicken broth in a bowl. Whisk until well mixed. Salt and pepper your dressing to your taste.

When the vegetables are finished, mix them and the dressing with the orzo. Serve hot or cold, depending on your preference.

Have a great Thursday!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Gosh, you cook interesting things!