Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

2010 has been a wonderful year, and I always enjoy reflecting on the year on New Year's Eve. This year I have seen so many blessings (in no particular order):

  • selling our house and buying a new one successfully
  • graduating from law school
  • passing the bar exam
  • securing employment
While all of these are important, I can't help but reflect that in the grand scheme of things, they are less important than the continuing friendship of other people. To me, friendship encompasses the love of family, the caring relationships with my friends, and my marriage. When I think about my life so far, I think about all of the people whose friendship I enjoyed. I think about how each and every person taught me something about life and shaped the person that I am today. My high school friends loved me despite the face that I walked around with hand-painted Beatles shirts all the time. My college friends got past the five crates of books I bought to the dorms and continue to be a shoulder I can lean on at any time, any day. My law school friends inspired me with their intelligence and ambition. Even you all, my blogging readers and friends, have taught me more open-mindedness. Truly, friends are the greatest gift.

That is why, on New Year's Eve, when I hear the song "Auld Lang Syne", I stop and think about my friends. It makes me ever so grateful:



"Auld Lang Syne" by Robert Burns

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

We twa hae run aboot the braes
And pou'd the gowans fine;
we've wander'd mony a weary foot
Sin' auld lang syne

Happy New Year's to you and yours!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What nice thoughts, that I should try to remember!