Sunday, November 21, 2010

Gobbler Grind Half Marathon

Yesterday we ran the Gobbler Grind half marathon. We ran the entire thing and our time was 2:29. David ran it with me (this is the first race since our triathlon that he has run with me) because I thought that I would need some encouragement.

The weekend started out crazily: I remembered while I was in my 90-minute yoga class that started at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday that indeed, we needed to pick up some race packets full of our numbers, etc. I couldn't leave the yoga room, so while I was exercising, I was trying to send David some thought waves that said, "GO PICK UP THE RACE PACKS DAVID!" It didn't work because as soon as I left class I borrowed my friend's phone and called him. "Oops," he said. Luckily we obtained the race packets on time.

We woke up and I ate my usual race day breakfast of an orange, banana, and raspberry smoothie. I also ate a muffin, which was good. We left home and got to the race area and David realized that he forgot his headphones. As you can imagine, this was bad, bad, bad. He contemplated going to Wal-Mart or Target before the race started to get the goods but decided against it after realizing he only had 40 minutes before race time to go and get back.

Once we got to the starting line, we hopped in line for the port-o-potties. That was a good thing, because the line got incredibly long before the race. Plus, the race only put port-o-potties at mile 10. MILE TEN, people. That is a long time to go without any bathroom stops.

We started the race. The race was set up so that the half marathoners and marathoners ran alongside people running the 5k. The 5k people veered off to the left and finished at mile 3 but then we had to keep going. We ran through trails and on streets in Overland Park. At about mile 5, we saw the first half marathoner running by to finish. Can you imagine?!?

We ran and ran. Miles 6, 7, and 8 were my hardest this time. At this point, we were running on streets and had the wind in our face. However, we kept trucking along, putting one foot in front of the other. The miles flew by.

We stopped for a bathroom break at mile 10 and after that the race was easier. At the end, the race course was kind of annoying because it was too narrow. I am a slow runner, so unfortunately for me, I get stuck with people who are doing the run/walk tactic: they run for a short distance, walk a short distance, run, walk. In the meantime, I am trying to truck along running very slowly. The narrow trails made it hard to let them pass me, and for me to pass them. Eventually, at mile 11, David and I ran a bit quicker to get ahead of some of the run/walkers.

Finally, we finished! I was very excited about the race. I was happy that we ran the entire way and happy that it was easier for me this time. This morning, I am able to walk easily and feel great!!!

2 comments:

kisa said...

You left out the best part: the guy giving away homemade chocolate chip pancakes at mile 8!

Kathy said...

Did you do the ice water bath trick after the race?! I am always impressed with people who can run half-marathons.