Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Cliffhanger 8k

On Sunday morning David and I ran the Cliffhanger 8k, in Gladstone (North Kansas City). The race was absolutely gorgeous:

This creeper taking a picture of me on the course is my husband:My race was fine, I wanted to complete it in an hour and I did. The problem was that during the race I didn't actually know how long an 8k actually is. David told me beforehand but I thought that he was saying something like, "Let's clean the bathrooms," rather than "An 8k is 4.97 miles," so I tuned him out while he was saying it.

Anyway, the entire time I had no clue how much longer I would be running. I knew that it was shorter than a 10k (6.2 miles) but other than that I was lost.

At the end, though, I employed a good strategy: I found a guy who looked fast and stayed behind him. This concept known as following is good if you 1. actually pick someone who is fast and 2. can actually keep up with them. Luckily, I did, and finished in good time.

My only complaint was that at the end of the race the course was out of water! So when I finished we hiked back to our car so I could get a drink. Please save any you are so slow that you can't even get water at the end of the race jokes.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm certainly impressed that you can run five miles. You had such a lovely day for it!