Friday, November 12, 2010

Chicken and Stuffing

One of my favorite meals in the wintertime is roasted chicken with various side items. This week I made a roasted chicken with gravy and stuffing. Delicious---so I thought that I would share the recipes with you!

Roasted Chicken

- one whole chicken with skin on
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt
- pepper
- rosemary
- thyme

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove all innards from the inside of the chicken and place the chicken on a roaster pan. Generously coat the entire chicken (skin on) with olive oil. Next, coat the skin with the salt. Remove parts of the skin from the meat and shove some salt next to the meat as well. Be sure to coat the entire chicken. Follow with pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Cook at 400 degrees for at least 1.5 hours or until ready (this will depend on the size of your bird...look on the package for directions).

After cooked, let sit for a while. Keep the drippings in your roaster pan.

Gravy
- drippings from chicken
- white wine- 1/2 cup
- chicken broth
- flour- appx. 1/2 to 2/3 cup
- salt and pepper to taste

My gravy usually turns out lumpy, but I just place my roaster on my stove, turn on the stove, cook some flour in the drippings, and add the wine and broth until I am comfortable with the consistency.

Stuffing

- one box prepared Jiffy cornbread mix
- one large baguette
- celery (3 stalks)- diced
- carrots (2 stalks)- diced
- one whole onion- diced
- olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste

Cube the baguette into tiny pieces. Coat in olive oil and toast in the oven until firm and crispy. Place into a bowl. Crumble the Jiffy cornbread into the bowl. Saute the celery, carrots, and onion in a skillet in olive oil until brown. Add to the bread mixture. Slowly add the chicken broth and stir until all of the bowl is mixed and the bread is just coated with liquid (I usually use 2 cups of liquid). Put into a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or so (I usually just keep an eye on it). Serve with gravy.

I love this stuffing recipe. I love it a little too much. So much that it prompted me to make this sign for David when we were almost out of leftovers:
Happy Friday!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I was actually just hoping a few days ago that you will bring your stuffing for Thanksgiving this year!

David said...

I can vouch for the deliciousness of this dish!

Anonymous said...

RoRo said this is a gravy trick that I learned from my mom---but water/wine/liquid witht he flour in a little Tupperware bowl and shake it and then add to the dripping to make gravy. You can also use cornstarch with or with out the flour!It will be less lumpy!

Kathy said...

My mom taught me to make gravy the same way RoRo's did. Your chicken recipe sounds delicious, plus I love suppers like this that provide leftovers.