Monday, August 16, 2010

City Market

My parents came to visit this weekend, which was a wonderful time. I really enjoyed their visit and enjoyed showing them my favorite places around the city. On Friday evening we all enjoyed hanging out at our house and ate a bit of Mexican food that I made.

On Saturday morning, the boys went to play golf, while my mom and I drove to the City Market, a fabulous farmers' market. I had heard that the market is amazing from David's aunt, who said that she loved to buy fresh spices there. However, her description did not fully prepare me for all the fun we had. First of all, River Market is a great neighborhood in Kansas City and my mom and I enjoyed exploring the area. When we entered the City Market, we were greeted by the sights and sounds of many different vendors, offering samples of their fresh produce.

After walking around a bit, we decided to grab an early lunch. I wanted to try The Farmhouse because I heard that it is amazing. The food did not disappoint. I had a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, which was so tasty. The tomato was so fresh and I loved the bacon. My mom had an equally delicious-looking salad.


The Cardinals fan outside the Farmhouse

After enjoying our lunch, we went back into The City Market and picked up some fresh fruits and vegetables. All morning, I noticed people walking around with gorgeous bouquets made up of so many different flowers. Of course, I wanted one. The line was ridiculously long, but I stood in it and custom-ordered my flowers. Here are the stand workers putting the bouquets together:


And my finished product:
Guess how much I paid for this....$6. Yep, I got about double the amount of flowers I would have received had I bought the same thing at a discount grocery store.

The market had other equally awesome deals...5 oranges for $1...7 limes for $1...I bought lots of peaches and tomatoes.

Before we left, we could not resist popping into Baby Cakes and picking up a bunch of tasty cupcakes for dessert after dinner.

If you head to the City Market, you will most likely see me there! I loved it!

The City Market
Farmers' Market
6 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Every Saturday
7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Every Sunday

The Farmhouse
http://www.eatatthefarmhouse.com/

Baby Cakes
http://www.babycakeskc.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RORO said The spice lady was awesome ---got some cool spices for my spice lab at school and ooohhh so cheap...wished I lived in KC and could go there every Sat.

Kathy said...

I'm excited that we will be accompanying you to the farmers' market this Saturday!