Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Literature

The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest is an annual contest wherein contestants try to compose the worst hypothetical opening line to a novel. The most interestingly ludicrous line wins the prize. It's crazy what kind of contests people come up with these days.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the runner-up in the detective fiction category:

As Holmes, who had a nose for danger, quietly fingered the bloody knife and eyed the various body parts strewn along the dark, deserted highway, he placed his ear to the ground and, with his heart in his throat, silently mouthed to his companion, “Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead.
I would definitely continue reading this book.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I remember reading about that charming contest years ago. I think it has been around for quite a while. I loved the clever sentence!

Jenna said...

Ohhh, I remember hearing about this contest once!

I admit I don't always "get" the entries though. I'm not much of a literary critic and I can't always tell why they are supposed to be bad!