Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bikram Yoga

My friend and I have been going to Bikram Yoga for the past few weeks. I used to practice yoga more often and found it very fulfilling. Besides running, it is a great exercise for me. I think that I enjoy exercises that involve personal challenges. In running I constantly battle the mental block I have about going further. In yoga, I used to battle the urge to twitch or something. In Bikram Yoga, I battle my urge to run screaming out of the room.

You see, the room is 105 degrees while you practice yoga. Each session lasts 90 minutes and is comprised out of the same postures every single time. But, each time, I experience a completely different class and a completely different challenge. The first time we went, the teacher advised us not to worry about the postures, but that our goal was to simply stay in the room the entire 90 minutes. We thought that it would be pretty easy to stay in the room because 105 doesn't seem to be THAT hot. Hoo boy, we were wrong. It was SO hot and we began sweating like crazy after the first two seconds of being in the room. But both of us were successful in our endeavor.

The second time was easier and I could easily accomplish the postures and even handle the heat, but I went last night and it was extremely difficult again. It was almost worse than the first time because I knew that I was able to do everything, but I just could not because my mind kept telling me that I could not. SO frustrating.

I love Bikram yoga because I can't concentrate on anything else but my postures, breathing, and staying in the room because if I stop concentrating on that, I will just leave the room. The entire time I have to battle with the urge to just leave. I also love the feeling of sweating so much that your body feels flushed out and clean after it is all over. Plus, the stretching feels good as well. Finally, I love how attuned I am with my body while in the room. The slightest breeze on my foot seems so sensational to me.

Have you ever tried yoga or Bikram yoga? Do you like it?

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm not into yoga, but I can see it's benefits nonetheless. BUT I am wondering, what exactly is the point of 105 degrees?? I am sure there is one or no one would do it. You must lose like five gallons of water!

Kathy said...

I used to enjoy doing a sun salute every day, and your post has made me want to start doing that again! I used to check out Lilias yoga videos from the library all the time. I also took a couple of classes but liked the convenience of doing the videos in my living room more.

Oprah's magazine recently did a two month story about a lady who changed her life through Bikram yoga! You might want to find it and read it.

(Yesterday I was talking with some fellow librarians about the Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature, which we fondly remember, and which may now be non-existent, because I imagine one can find every article in which one may be interested through a quick internet search!)