Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Sweet Guy

After enjoying a delicious dinner at Waldo pizza, we headed over to The Sweet guy for gelato. I've also had the chocolates there and everything is always delicious. The chocolates are literally works of art with interesting patterns and colors. The gelato was delicious as well. I tried the toffee crunch, which did not seem very full of toffee. The strawberry was absolutely amazing and I also liked the chocolate wedding cake and cookies and cream flavors (don't worry, I did not buy five flavors, but tried everybody's gelato in our party). Overall, I thought it was a delicious experience.

The Sweet Guy
7439 Broadway Street, Kansas City -

(816) 361-9500

David's sister and I were wondering what the difference is between ice cream and gelato, so I looked it up. This is from wikipedia:

Gelato differs from ice cream in that it has a lower butterfat content, typically gelato contains 4-8% versus 14% for ice cream. Gelato generally has slightly lower sugar content, averaging between 16-22% versus approximately 21% for ice cream. Non-fat milk is added as a solid. The sugar content in gelato is precisely balanced with the water content to act as an anti-freeze, that is, to prevent the gelato from freezing solid. The types of sugar used are sucrose and dextrose and invert sugar to control the apparent sweetness. Typically, gelato and Italian sorbet contain a stabilizing base. Egg yolks are used in yellow custard-based gelato flavors, including zabaione and creme caramel.

Source

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I've been there and I went about nuts. SO GOOD! Man, you guys have tons of restaurants around you!

Heather said...

I love gelato. The best I have ever had was at Toscano's in Philadelphia, PA. :) If you are ever doing the historic sites there, this is gelato shop is very near Independence Hall. Well within walking distance.

Kathy, Abbie's mil said...

Heather, thanks for the suggestion. We will be in Philadelphia in June and will try to remember to go there!