Saturday, May 08, 2010

Finis.

Yesterday I finished law school. It is such a wonderful feeling to finally be finished with my experience. When I began law school in August 2007, I wrote this:

Law school is very enjoyable for me so far. I am enjoying the subject matter of my classes, the structure of the classes themselves, and meeting new people. Before I went, I had people who had completed law school tell me that I would learn a new way of thinking and that my mind would be challenged beyond belief for the first one and a half semesters. This is turning out to be very true: the reading is incredible--before beginning, I read things for pleasure and not necessarily for comprehension. Now I find myself concentrating on ten pages for hours, rereading sentences two or three times in an attempt to glean their meanings. Nothing seems as simple as it did before because our professors are attempting to teach us to question everything. It is certainly the academic challenge of my life and I am excited to immerse myself in learning.
After reading that, I can't believe how far and my friends and I have come. We have been taught how to think for ourselves, speak up for our solutions, and how to be creative problem solvers. It is so true: I have been taught how to think in a different way.

I loved law school. I loved the variety of classes I took, the experiences I had, and friends I made. Because of law school, I am now embarking on a career path I never would have guessed I would enjoy and could not be more excited.

The last week of finals was crazy. I seriously could not remember what day it was yesterday. Last night I felt so exhausted: not only from this year's finals, but from the weight of three years' worth of finals and stress and craziness of school. It is so surreal to think that it is all over.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Abbie, this is such a huge, enormous, big deal, I can't think of an appropriate comment!
We are certainly proud of you and happy for you.

Anonymous said...

RoRo said~~~

Abbie---congats on finishing law school ----what an acomplishment!!!
I can't even imagine the bookcork and course work involved in that process. Now on to graduation, a party and then life in the real world! Not that you haven't lived there before!

Ashley said...

YAY!

This post made me think of how big of a difference a few years can make in a lot of ways. Regarding school though, my goodness, I can remember freaking out because I couldn't figure out how to write a case brief (WHAT IS THE RULE! WHAT IS THE HOLDING!). Then, at the end, didn't have to write one at all...maybe just a few notes in the margins. We've learned a lot. Still wish you were going to be here for BarBri, but, yeahhhh totally worth moving considering all the factors involved! ha!

Rachel said...

Ab-
Congratulations! You will be the best lawyer ever.
love, Rach