Thursday, March 04, 2010

Enough sleep


Getting ready for bed

This morning I woke to my GOOP newsletter in my inbox. The subject? Getting enough sleep.

I love sleeping. Of course, everybody else does as well. I find it interesting to hear about other people's sleeping patterns. I like to fall asleep at around 10 p.m. and wake at around 6 a.m. I am someone who needs a good night's sleep in order to function (I am proud to say that I have never pulled an all-nighter to study for anything). If I reach a point where I need to study or go to sleep, I always choose sleep because without it I simply cannot function and it would not matter if I studied the night away because I would never remember the information.

David, on the other hand, loves to pull all-nighters to study. He can run on so little sleep that it makes me jealous. While he could fall asleep in the middle of a speaker or in an exciting public place, I need quiet, darkness, and stillness to sleep. I always joke with him that his sleeping patterns are a result of his being the third in a line of four children, so he had no choice but to learn to sleep in the middle of noise. I, however, was an only child for four years and had one brother, so my sleeping habits were more carefully cultivated.

What are your sleeping habits?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I can fall asleep very easily, which I have realized from reading so many magazine articles about people having trouble sleeping, is really a blessing! Unfortunately, I always fall asleep when I am reading the Bible at church during afternoon Adoration, and I used to fall asleep during deacon school night classes every single time, even though Tom was poking me to make me stay awake!

Anonymous said...

RORO said I am like you Abbie--I need a ful night's sleep to function with my special ed teenagers. I usually go to sleep at 9 or so and get up at 5 or so.
ever since my hysterectomy, I have had trouble STAYING asleep. If I wake up at 3 or so for the bathroom, I couldn't fall back to sleep. After many trials and errors of sleep medicine, I find the most effective for me per my doctor is Advil PM. We have discussed the effect of taking it for long periods of time and now I get my blood tested every 6 mos.I think if I could take hormones I would be better offbut I can't because of my cancer. I have done lots of research about sleep and my condition and also about my teenage students who NEVER get enough sleep.