Friday, March 07, 2008

New month, new layout

I chose this picture this month because it was taken in Rome, and I went to Rome with David two years ago in March. Sometimes I really miss being in Europe (maybe we will have to fix that soon?), and my pictures remind me of some of the really great times I had while studying abroad.

David came and visited me for ten days while I was there, and I remember being SO EXCITED to see him again. When he arrived at the airport and hugged me, I was trembling in happiness. He often still reminds me of this when I get mad at him now for not doing the dishes or taking out the trash. :) We went to Rome together while he visited and it was absolutely beautiful. We got lost numerous times, saw a lot of really interesting people, and had a blast.

Not only did I learn a lot about a different culture and have great experiences while I was abroad, I also learned a lot about myself, including that I wanted to marry David. The fact that I was in a beautiful continent and missing him so much that I was extremely homesick every day made it pretty clear to me that I wanted to be with him forever. I would say that going away from him and having a lot of time to sort through my goals in life was probably the best thing for our relationship together. Before studying abroad, I thought that I would not marry until my late twenties. I really wanted to give myself time to be me, without the hindrance of always being defined by my spouse.

Now I realize that marriage is almost opposite of what I expected: instead of being defined by each other, we help each other define ourselves. We are still two distinct individuals: I have my law school and the craziness that goes along with that, and he has his job and his tutoring for local college kids. Our interests are not even really the same: he loves to read fantasy and play computer games and I love to play the piano and draw.

It is weird how a little trip to Rome can help you realize all of these things. I still remember the fountain in the picture: I kept crouching down to get the shot of the water rushing around, and later that night we saw another fountain and both said at the same time, "isn't water amazing?" It is beautiful, isn't it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abbie, you should be writing talks for Engaged Encounter!
Kathy

Shawn said...

I agree with kathy! I love your new layout! That picture is wonderful!!

kisa said...

That was such a wonderful trip. I would go with you to Rome again any day.

Josh said...

I'm so sorry you ended up with David again.

Sigh.

Hahahahahaha, I love you two, but don't tell anyone.

I'm going to see you two in like three weeks! I hope you're ready!