Sunday, February 17, 2008

Our weekend

Yesterday we decided to go to our college town for a visit. One of our old friends was turning 21 and was having her friends over, and we wanted to attend. So we loaded up the dog and drove.

When we got there, it was rainy and nasty. We went to mass and when we came out, I slipped on the sidewalk a little. It was getting very, very icy. We went to dinner and then to the party, which was fun. It was actually a little weird being back and hanging out in our old hangouts, but we both had a really good time.

The only problem was the ice. The birthday girl had slipped on a patch of ice and fell. And then, David fell.

I didn't see the fall, but he apparently smashed his head pretty badly. Luckily, he was not knocked out or anything, but the gash was huge. We tried to make it stop bleeding, but after a while I looked at it and thought that we should go to the ER. My suspicions were confirmed when I mentioned it to David and he did not argue. When even David agreed that an ER was necessary, I knew that it was bad.

We went to the ER (which was luckily empty, so no wait), and David got ten stitches: four inside the cut and six on the outside. I was glad that we decided to go after that, because it seemed to take a lot to get it clean! While at the ER, I was glad that we have good health insurance, because the copay was pretty low. But I guess we will have to wait and see about other bills. I hated going, but there was no way that he could have waited until Monday, so I think that it was worth it.

So, for your enjoyment, here is a picture of the poor invalid with his stitches.
More about our weekend to come!

6 comments:

Joel said...

Oh man, that has to hurt. David looks super happy in that picture.

Sarah said...

Oh, no! Poor David. What an unfortunate accident!

Josh said...

I wish I could have seen it happen.

Shawn said...

Oh no! that ice was horrible. You'll have to dote on him so he feels better :)

Kate said...

Poor David! Jeff and I had an almost identical experience...only his was just stepping off the curb and falling flat on his face :-P.

Glad the ER was so quick, and that you guys have such good insurance--be grateful for that!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Davey, you are lucky you were already a grownup when you fell and that you have good insurance! Had you still been at home, I probably would have been saying, "Our insurance won't pay for the emergency room visit. Can't you just tough it out?"!
Mom