Friday, January 18, 2008

Coffee v. Tea

I gave up coffee around the New Year just because I was in the habit of drinking 4-5 cups of joe a day. I spoke with a friend who insisted that drinking Green Tea is much healthier than drinking coffee incessantly, so I decided to make the switch. I must say that as of now, I am pretty addicted to Green Tea.

My friend said that since Green Tea is chock full of antioxidants, at least I am getting some nutritional value along with some of the caffeine intake to which I am addicted. As a result, I decided to swear off coffee except for the fun, mixed drinks that seemed so yummy and good, like lattes, mochas, and iced coffees. Those would be reserved for treats.

This plan has worked for two entire weeks: I have not had one cup of just plain coffee. The tea just seems so much better for now. After drinking the tea, my body feels so good and satisfied. And today, I decided to treat myself to a fun iced coffee from Starbucks as a reward for my good work. But there was one problem: it was not good to me anymore. After I finished, my stomach hurt and I did not feel well. I went back and got green tea to soothe my tummy. What is wrong with me?

Could it be that my body is starting to not like coffee? After years of drinking the goodness, could I be finished with it? I certainly realize that cravings go in stages: a month or a year from now I may be back on my coffee kicks, but for now the tea is making me happy.

4 comments:

Josh said...

It could very well be that the mix was bad. Although you know me and that I am not, and have never been, a coffee or tea drinker. So I have never had an iced coffee. However, sometimes bodies become accustomed to certain amounts of chemicals. A good example for this is insulin and diabetes, but you can look that up. When a chemical is removed from the bloodstream for extended periods of time, the body will think that it needs to become more "sensitive" to this chemical and will increase the amount of receptors available. If there is a difference of caffeine from coffee to tea and you are in fact addicted to the caffeine, your body could be trying to make changes to make up for your lack of coffee. When you do start back up with drinking coffee, your "sensitive sensors" could be overwhelmed and cause the reaction you described. It should go away, however, and return back to normal, if that's what you want.

But what do I know, I'm just a gay Seattleite who works with middle school kids.

Kathy said...

I hear the same thing happens when people give up soda for a few weeks, but it is such a pleasure to me that I don't want to give it up.
Kathy

Shawn said...

I love my coffee and tea :) I know if I have not had coffee in awhile it does give me a tummy ache. Not sure why though. Do you drink loose tea? That is some of my fav. I love love jasmine tea you should try it. :)

Katie said...

Same thing happened to me when I gave up Dr. Pepper. Bleh! I cannot drink it anymore. Gross. lol