Wednesday, November 07, 2007

3 a.m.

We are all so tired today. My eye is really droopy for some reason and looks really weird. I think it is because of lack of sleep.

Last night we went to another orientation for our job on the side at which we never work because we are so busy. So anyway, they were talking about fire safety and a firefighter came to talk. He mentioned that families should change the batteries in the smoke alarms when we switch the time for Daylight Savings Time. At the orientation, I nudged David and said, "change our batteries when we get home, so we don't forget!" and he said, "Oh Abbie, the alarms will beep when they need new batteries."

So in the middle of the night, I start having this dream with a beep in it. This beep was incessant. I think that in the dream David and I were running from somewhere or something, but I woke up when I felt a little nudge on my hand and a crinkle of tags on a collar. It was Pax, trying to wake me up.

And then I heard it. BEEP! Twenty seconds later: BEEP!

"Bubby," I said to David. "Wake up!" It was the smoke alarm, saying that it needed new batteries at 3 a.m. So then the entire family got in a frenzy to change this smoke alarm battery, and David agreed to change them all tonight when he gets home from work. We figured that they probably have not been changed for a year or so, because nobody lived in this house for a long time before the people sold it to us.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

That is so funny. I love coincidences!
Kathy

Sarah said...

Wow, what an amazing dog! He's like Lassie! It's good to know that Pax will keep you safe, should there ever actually be a fire.

David's grandma said...

I've been there, done that smoke alarm too. I kept trying to fit the beeps into a dream, but then I finally had to get up and take the batteries out. That's no fun in the middle of the night. Abbie, I enjoyed your book lists. You have some of my favorites on it.