Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Recipes and other news

Today Thorina went to the vet for the first time ever. Poor kitty! She saw some parakeets and a dog there and got two shots. The Doctor said that she "doesn't miss a meal". Hmmm... maybe we should stop feeding her so much?

David and I have been getting up at 6:00 a.m. to run. I'm not sure how I feel about this: it gives us more time in the morning to see each other and we get our running out of the way for the day. I always feel so much better when I have exercised a little in the morning. However, it is SO EARLY! I had to take a nap today in order to recover.

Finally, I have decided that I love cooking. As much as I deny it, I enjoy trying new recipes and preparing meals. This is a huge advantage for David, because every night he has a meal ready for him when he comes home! So now I am giving up my idea of having David cook for now, mostly because it is usually a disaster and I enjoy doing it so much more than other jobs. He is starting to study again for more actuary tests, so I am trying to be really helpful around the house.

So anyway, tonight, I made Chicken Piccata (sort of). It is basically some chicken breaded with bread crumbs, quick fried, and with a white wine/lemon sauce. My chicken ended up being more like chicken strips and my sauce, well, I'll just let it speak for itself:



Yeah, not so good. I tried the recipe (kind of) exactly and it tasted really bitter from the nasty lemons we got. So then I added carrots for more nutrition. Then it seemed really runny, so I decided to make a Rou, which I thought meant that it was just thickening a sauce but now I think is something else. Anyway, I added flour to the mixture. Well, the sauce was boiling at that point so all that did was make dumplings in the boiling hot liquid. Aek!

I really do make a pretty good white wine sauce for like pasta, but really my foray into the wine area of sauce cooking has been pretty unsuccessful.

I don't think David minded, though. We also had oven-baked potato fries, breaded zucchini, spinach salad, and some dumplings for the chicken. Tomorrow: stuffed bell peppers!

4 comments:

kisa said...

I thought that the chicken was delicious. I am glad that you are finally realizing that you like cooking so much!

Peter said...

You guys are either great or crazy for getting up so early to run. I can barely get up for class at 8:00.

Kathy said...

I wish you and Sarah were cooking at my house!
Kathy

David said...

Ha, I don't even remember this meal, but it sounds like a funny kitchen adventure!