Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Tonight

Tonight I went to see the movie Who Killed the Electric Car with my friend Tyler. Sony Pictures Classics screened the movie in the Motion Pictures Association of America's building. Tyler and I walked in the room and were immediately greeted with free appetizers. An egg roll guy kept accosting us until we ate his egg rolls. We were like, "Us poor college kids will eat your free food if you insist." After stuffing ourselves with egg rolls, mushroom nuggets, little pieces of chicken, and crab cakes, we watched the movie.

The movie was very informative and interesting. It basically follows the lives of a handful of electric cars produced by major car companies in the United States during the 1990s. Eventually, the companies took the cars off the market for several reasons, and the documentary asserted the need for electric cars in America today. I encourage you all to watch the documentary. It will be shown in St. Louis at the Tivoli on July 28.

After the movie, Joan Claybrook (a major non-profit guru) held a question and answer session. When the lights came back on, I looked around and noticed that Ralph Nader was just to my right, and that the Vice President of Honda sat directly behind me. It was such an honor to be in that room.

I tried to dress cutely for the evening in case any magazines, like Discover, Science Weekly, or Seventeen decided to cover the screening. Unfortunately, I do not think any magazines were actually there, so I will not be featured in their fashion sections.

4 comments:

kisa said...

You should try to hit up these movie/party events more often. Free appetizers are the best!

Anonymous said...

Mushroom nuggets and Ralph Nader...for some reason those two things seem to go hand-in-hand. You can't get the shroom nuggets w/o the Nader, ya know?

Kathy said...

Abbie, I would like to see a photograph of you dressed cutely enough to appear in Seventeen!

Anonymous said...

Abbie

Enjoy your final week in Washington DC. You have had a terrific experience.

Smommmmmmy