Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Barack!


Today was the last day of the conference to which Fairvote sent me, and Barack Obama was the closing speaker. I was not really allowed into the luncheon, but I begged my supervisor to give me ideas of how I could see Senator Obama speak. My boss is either pretty cool or was sick of my lamenting, because he quietly took his pass from around his neck, stuck my nametag in the pass, and handed it over. After that I told the ticket ladies at the door that I just wanted to see the speakers, and they let me inside! I was so excited.

The speakers were pretty good, but while they were speaking people continued eating their lunches. However, when Obama came on stage, one could hear a pin drop in the room. He had such a command over the audience that it was hard not to fall into silence and just listen. His speech was about a 105-year-old woman who visited him during one of his campaigns and how she has seen a lot of change in America during her lifetime, and how he hopes that children today will also see a lot of positive change in their lifetimes. I loved his speech and am so lucky that I got to see him talk.

This week Karla showed me two new running routes. One follows the Potomac into Virginia (this sounds far, but it is really only a mile or two) and back into the District. The other includes an uphill climb for about two miles and then downhill for the last two. Both are good runs, and my main goal right now is to increase my speed during runs. Hopefully, when I return to Kirksville, David will be ready to run with me. He kills me because he rarely actually runs for practice, but when he does run with me, he leaves me in the dust. I think my main problem is that I do not challenge myself on speed when I run alone, so I am trying to work on that during my last couple of weeks here so that I can beat him.

4 comments:

kisa said...

That is a good plan to work on speed. When you come back, we can start doing intervals and fartleks and the like!

Kathy said...

You are so ambitious I am in awe of you! What about sitting around reading, my constant ambition?

Anonymous said...

I was not sick of your lamenting. I am pretty cool.

-JS

Linda Wright said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog. Hope you have a chance to read Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama. It is very interesting. Will check back on you sometime. Good Luck!

Linda Wright
"formerly of Vandalia"