Monday, May 15, 2006

Father/Daughter bonding time

Today my poor dad stayed home sick from school. He was really, really sick--he kept coughing, sneezing, and blowing his nose. I had to substitute teach at his school, but I had seventh hour free and consequently went home at 2:15. When I arrived, he was still sick in bed, so I joined him for a little daytime TV viewing. This provided much entertainment for us.
If you do not have the pleasure of watching daytime TV, please do not feel that you are being deprived of anything. We flipped around and saw The People's Court, during which my dad said, "See, Abbie, you can go to law school and be a Judge like this!" Yes, that is my ambition in life--to settle cases between stepmom and stepson that involves flooring tiles, salt shakers, and $2,000. Eventually we discovered a daytime talk show.
The caption at the bottom of the screen said, "I'm blind and I need your help. Is my boyfriend cheating on me?" I said, "Dad, do you think they are really putting blind people on this show and saying their partners are cheating on them?!" After we watched the lady tell the guy she had been cheating on him for 13 years with over 100 men, Dad said, "but where's the blind person?" We laughed so hard, because they meant figuratively blind. Maybe we are just too goofy for daytime TV.

4 comments:

kisa said...

Um, why am I still dating you?

Anonymous said...

You have to be real sick to watch daytime t.v.. I am thankful each day that I have better things to do and know you both are as well.
Sure your comments helped your Dad get well quicker.
l.j.

Sarah said...

It makes me sad that there is even a market for those types of shows.

jules said...

as i was reading your post i was like oh my gosh! how could they do that to a poor blind person, and even with your example, i know on maury (which i only watch when i am on break at work and we only get 2 channels, fyi!) they make the most horrible sounding story the caption and bring them out last, so i was like oh, well that's why that lady isn't blind....yeah, so i guess i shouldn't watch anymore daytime tv either...