Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Paris!


Stop number three on our whirlwind tour of Europe (as our friend Kathryn calls our trip) was Paris, and we definitely saved the best for last. Paris was so beautiful, and I think it ties with Rome as my favorite city I've visited. We arrived in Paris very late at night on Tuesday and found our hotel. We were so tired from our previous days' activities that we slept in on Wednesday morning and then just started to walk around the city. First we encountered a bakery on a corner near our hotel. We got fresh croissants and baguettes every morning.

After walking around our neighborhood for a while, we decided to buy strawberries. These strawberries came off a fruit stand near our hotel and were the best fruit I've ever eaten in my life. Here is a picture of them:

Aren't they perfect specimens of fruit?

While we were eating, I looked to my left and said, "Hey! Isn't that the Arc de Triumphe?" Indeed it was. We headed that way and then walked toward the Louvre. While walking, I just loved to look at the buildings in Paris. The architecture was so beautiful. We researched prices for Louvre tickets and then went to Notre Dame Cathedral.

While at Notre Dame, we attended a vesper service, which was cool because I was able to understand some things (everything was in French or Latin). After that we watched these dudes do some cool stunts outside the cathedral:


That night we went to the Eiffel Tower. Colleen and I decided to be thrifty and take the stairs instead of the elevator (it was about $5 cheaper), but by the time we got to the first tier, we were too tired to walk all the way up to the top. However, it was still pretty amazing to be at the Eiffel Tower.

We were pretty hungry because of our climb, so we decided to get crepes from a stand in the street. While we were in Paris, I tried a ham crepe and a jam crepe. I want to learn how to make them at home. We used to buy them from the store but I think I probably tried to make tacos out of them.

The next day we went to the Louvre, which was very beautiful. I loved seeing the Mona Lisa. I wished I was a kid because they let children stand closer to the painting to get a good look!

About half of the museum was closed, which was a tiny disappointment, because the part that was closed was the collection of French paintings, which I really wanted to see. However, after the Louvre, we went to the Musee d'Orsay, which was simply amazing. The Musee d'Orsay houses more Modern Art, such as Monet, Manet, Van Gogh, Cezanne, and the like. I was in heaven, because I love studying those artists. My Modern Art class at Truman was one of my favorite classes, so it was great to see all the actual paintings.

After the museum tours, we went to the Galeries Lafayette, which is a huge shopping mall. We mostly looked because there were a lot of designer clothes and our feet were tired. It was at this point that Colleen said, "Abbie, do your feet hurt? You're kind of limping..." and we laughed. We had been on our feet for almost seven days straight! I didn't care, though. The entire spring break trip was worth it.

On our last day, we got more strawberries and walked around our neighborhood again. Our flights back to Praha were fine, so overall we had a great spring break!

5 comments:

kisa said...

Since you're so short, you should have snuck with the kids up to the Mona Lisa!

Mr B said...

If you ever get back to Paris, you have to try a chocolate crepe. They are delicious. European street food is so good.

golfer said...

I didn't think Colleen wanted to see Paris

Rachel said...

Abs!! put up more pictures of Paris if you can. I am soooooooooooo jealous of the strawberries. They are my favorite fruit!

Kathy said...

You and Colleen are so lucky! Thanks for sharing.